SC - Pumpkins and such...

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Oct 30 13:13:59 PST 2000

> See, I was always told that if you used a pumpkin to make a
> jack-o-lantern, then you *couldn't* use the pumpkin flesh to eat, only
the seed.  I  was suprised to see the thread on "pumpkin innards" and all
the ideas on how to use what was left when you were done carving, since
as I was taught to carve jack-o-lantern the only thing that came out were
the stringy
parts and the seeds, no pumpkin flesh.   Following that discussion I can
 only  assume that folks scoop out part of the flesh as well as the
strings and seeds when they are carving a pumpkin and use that (since I
can't believe they use the dried up husk after it has sat for a week or
so.)  so I've learned a *lot* from this discussion, if nothing else but
about the different ways that people do things :-)
> I remain, in service to Meridies,
> Lady Celia des L'archier

	The best part of the pumpkin after carving is the seeds!  I just bought
2 lovely pumpkins at Kroger this afternoon, at $1.99 each!  I love it
that if you wait until the holiday is actually upon you, and not a month
in advance, the price actually gets reasonable.  There was a lady there
bemoaning her $8.00 purchase just yesterday.  (heh, heh, heh...)
	I will be carving these tonight, and while I'm not planning on using the
flesh, I will be making my world-famous pumpkin seeds.
	Christianna

	Christianna's World Famous Pumpkin Seeds

	Seeds from 2 pumpkins, purchased in a timely fashion for bargain rates,
	removed via scooping and rinsed in a collander to remove slimy/stringy
	pumpkin guts (that they be moist and clean are the important parts
	here)
	Salt, Pepper, Hungarian Paprika, Granulated Garlic

	Heat oven to 375 degrees.
	On an ungreased cookie sheet, place moist, clean seeds.
	With roughly equal parts of the dry spices, sprinkle generously over the
	seeds, turning with a spatula to ensure even coating.
	Bake in oven until they start to crackle and turn light brown.
	Let cool, and pop into your mouth (yes, the whole thing, there's no need
	to peel it!)

	You will actually find that 2 pumpkins are necessary, because 1 won't
	produce enough seeds to keep everybody happy!