SC - feedback requested

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Mon Oct 30 13:58:03 PST 2000

> After talking a while with the three of them I pulled out one of my
> Florilegium "business cards" and gave to the couple and mentioned
> that they might find the newcomers section useful. When I did this
> my "friend" mentioned how good a resource the Florilegium was. The
> newcomer couple said they had been there but hadn't seen the newcomers
> section and we got off to talking about personas and cooking, with
> me basically asking what their interests were and making some referances
> to various sections or files that I thought they might like.

*laugh* I think this is normal, and your friend was over-reacting
and being oversensitive/overprotective of newbies, aka *chatelaine
disease* .

Recently our A&S minister posted a series of one-liners about 'so and so
on Introduction to the SCA' to our group mailing list. I was pleased to
note that I was characterized by "And you can talk to this person for
this, and this person for that, and this person for the other.."

Of course, it's easy to get into a conversation that consists entirely of
what I call 'reference trading', which basically re-capitualtes a ot of
the discussions on period topics, and which would in my opinion make a
great SCA card game: perhaps a competitive sport ofr laurels. (you could
do a set of cards with kingdom law, corpora and GP&D on it for pelicans.)
As in, Mistress X plays a Markham on sauces; Master Y tops it with a de
Nola on sauces; Mistress Z changes the topic suit with a de Nola on
agriculture...

- --
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"I do my job. I refuse to be responsible for other people's managerial
hallucinations." -- Lady Jemina Starker