SC - Leftovers was Malaches (FoC 159)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Oct 30 19:02:47 PST 2000

In a message dated 10/30/00 1:39:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
oftraquair at hotmail.com writes:

> I've wondered if the 2-step cooking is a form of preservation.

Not in my experience. The multi-cooking steps produce a definite texture and
taste that is lacking if the steps are left out. I am of the opinion that
simply reproducing the recipe as it is written produces a dish that is
similar to that which was intended. There is no need to read between the
lines and attribute questionable reasons for multiple steps. Such a process
is usually the result of comparing modern cooking and/or eating techniques
with period ones and then trying to justify the different approach indicated
in period recipes. What would be the purpose of such an exercise when it is
clearly unneeded?

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol