Sour Cabbage Soup (was Re: SC - pierogys)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Oct 23 18:15:03 PDT 2000

At 11:32 AM -0400 10/23/00, Jenne Heise wrote:

>Pickled cabbage and 'sour cabbage' appear to be period, as mentioned in
>the Domostroi (Russian Household Manual from the tiem of Ivan the
>Terrible), so a sour kraut like dish would certain bein the period style.

There is something in Domostroi that is translated "sour cabbage
soup." It seems to be an ingredient, not a final product, and the
context makes me suspect that the translation is wrong. One
possibility is that it might be alegar--the equivalent of vinegar
made from ale. I am curious as to whether anyone else has more
persuasive suggestions--or, better yet, has looked at the original
Russian and can tell us what it actually says.

David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/