SC - OT - Wedding Announcement (Sept. 23rd in Jararvellir)

Catherine Deville catdeville at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 1 05:42:29 PDT 2000

> Or a potLATCH, which is:  1 : a ceremonial feast of the American Indians
of
> the northwest coast marked by the host's lavish distribution of gifts or
> sometimes destruction of property to demonstrate wealth and generosity
with
> the expectation of eventual reciprocation (circa 1861, Chinook Jargon)

Cool!  Thanks for the info on this term.  We hold "potlatch"es when we move
and they are marked by giving away those things which we don't wish to keep
to those who are helping us move.  So the way that I learned the term it
was a give away, but not necessarily lavish and might nor might not include
a feast.  (Generally it does, because the tradition in my circle of friends
is *always* to feed those who help you move. )

I remain, in service to Meridies,
Lady Celia des L'archier