SC - Re: Pennsic Cookshop

ChannonM@aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Fri Sep 1 10:52:02 PDT 2000

In a message dated 8/30/00 1:35:57 AM Eastern Daylight Time, HG Cariadoc
writes:

> >Could we not use trenchers? This is the kind of thing that would set us
> apart
>  >from the other shops.
>
>  Do we have any reason to think that 13th c. Andalusians used
>  trenchers? Putting a 13th c. Muslim dish on a 15th c. English
>  trencher may set us apart--but not for the historical accuracy of
>  what we are doing. On the other hand, we know they had rice and that
>  they served things on it--we even have a period attack on doing so
>  (as the oldfashined, uncultured way of serving a meal).

I was referring to using them (trenchers) for the appropriate foods not to
the food being Andalusian per se(I didn't recognize the name of the dish).
However, there still might be drawbacks though like drips etc, forcing us to
use a paper plate anyway. The trencher also would be most appropriate for an
higher table than commoners food (IMO), so it would be dependant on the menu
as well.

I put my vote in for working from Platina. There is just such a wide range of
great stuff to work with. Either way, I think we need to limit the daily menu
 and maybe feature a "special" at the evening meal.

Hauviette