SC - salad & Castelvetro translation

TG gloning at Mailer.Uni-Marburg.DE
Sat Sep 2 12:39:09 PDT 2000

Greeting Randell Diamond from Lady Marguerite des Fleur,
We are making a period encampment news letter. If you are anyone reading this, has a period encampment food and would like to have it placed in the News letter,. Please
feel free to email it to me with your permission to publish with your SCa and mundane name the group and kingdom you are from. We will publish this in the newsletter. One
just like this one would be very nice. Thank you! Marguerite

RANDALL DIAMOND wrote:

> The question is asked:  >>>What is the volume
>  you can expect from such a rotisserie? You can
> only cook how many chickens at once. And if
> you serve half-chickens how many is this? Even
> if you can cook 12 chickens at once, giving 24
> servings, they take a while to cook. I don't think
> this is feasible, although the idea is nice.<<<
>
> The way the large numbers of chickens/ whatever
> to cook for large numbers of people is being handled
> in a very different way at Glaedenfeld Centre. We are
> building a Scandinavian late period smokehouse (at
> least the folks who designed it say it is period, I haven't
> seen the docs on it yet) to cook as many as we need.
> The fellow who came up with this builds period saunas
> and happened to mention that they used similar structures
> for cooking.  I jumped on him for details rather quickly.
> The one we are considering (after I ok it as reasonably
> period) will have two chambers each about the size of
> one of the HC access port-o-johns.  One will be for slow
> smoke foods like hams, sausages, traditional smokehouse
> stuff.  The other will be running much hotter and will have
> hanging racks/ spits for lots and lots of birds and pierced
> racks for things like whole trout or salmon.  A drip pan will
> cover most of the tile floor.  This would cook exactly like the
> yuppified smokers you can get at any Gaulmart.
> I think that this kind of setup at Pennsic would be ideal.
> With spit roasting you often get dry meat on the outside
> and half cooked on the inside when you are dealing with
> any quantities due to the unevenness of the heat.  The
> wet heat of the smoke will cook very evenly and when one is
> done, they all are.  You should be able to cook 200 or more
> birds in one of these at a time without the problems of
> an open flame and having to turn everything constantly.
> It works largely like a convection oven with smoke added.
> If you are cooking all the same fowl, you should have a
> drip pan full of fats and juices for seasoning/ flavouring
> rice or something as well.   I think this method of cooking
> would be extremely suited for Pennsic type cooking.  Using
> apple or pear wood would make some yummy birds and it
> is mundane enough (but period) to appeal to most folks.
>
> Akim Yaroslavich
> "No glory comes without pain"

- --
Spinning Winds Pavilions and Tents www.spinningwinds.com