SC - shortbread/-cakes & salad

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sat Sep 2 19:22:04 PDT 2000

Sue Clemenger wrote:

> Hmm, don't know who sent the first part of this message, but I've made
> both sauce and butter, and would say, rather, that the chief difference
> lies more in the relative amounts of time alloted for cooking them.
> As far as ingredients go, I'm sure there are a number of local variants,
> and of course, the taste of the finished product would also depend on
> the type(s) of apples being used.
> Hmm, it's almost apple time here....I just may have to trot down to the
> farmers' market for ingredients....yum...
> --Maire

It was my understanding that at least some versions of apple butter are
made with no added sugar, just apples cooked in apple juice until more
or less homogeneous, and that a mix of apple varieties, including both
sweet and tart types, compensated for the lack of cane sugar. I dunno, I
think I read all this offa an apple butter jar label.

I also think a key difference would be in the usage. Apple butter is
sufficiently rich that I would serve it pretty much only as a spread for
bread and such, _maybe_ between cake layers, while I would do neither
with applesauce, which I tend to see either as a stand-alone dish or as
an accompaniment for things like meats, black puddings (yum!) and
perhaps various frittery units such as latkes.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com