SC - Period cookshop at Pennsic?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 3 00:03:11 PDT 2000

Thomas asked after finding a discrepancy in the castelvetro translation:

> What strikes me, are some differences between the English
> version quoted
> and the Italian text:
>
> " ... where we Italians would much rather feast the palate than the
> eye. YOU ENGLISH are even worse; ..."
> " ... ma noi Italici abbiam più riguardo di piacere a monna
> bocca. ALTRI
> fan vie peggio, ..."
>
> As far as I can see, there is no mention of "You English", but only of
> "others" in this Italian text (based on the Firpo edition in
> 1974). And
> I cannot find anything that comes close to the "footbath of Morgante",
> nor do I find anything for "a fate which I fear lies in store
> for most inhabitants of this Kingdom" in the Italian text of the Firpo
> edition; "è degno" is not "is condemned" but "is worth", "paperi" are
> not chicken, but geese etc.
>
> What is going on here? On which Castelvetro text is the translation
> based? Could someone please take a look?

interestingly the online version ends:
"Finisce il racconto degli erbaggi e de’ frutti.  Riscritto in Eltam Parco a
’ quattordici di giugno 1614."  which translates as "End of the account of
the herbs and of the fruit.  Written in Eltam Park on the 14th of June 1614"

Whereas the Riley translation ends "The end of the account of the Fruit,
Herbs & Vegetables that are eaten in Italy.  Written out on the 28th day of
September in the village of Charlton in England MDCXIV"

I can't tell from the website which manuscript the online Italian copy is
from, but I assume it is the 1st of the 3 MSs Gilian Riley lists in her
bibliography from the Trinity College library, as relevant to her study:
"R.14.19. dated 14 June 1614
R 3.44. dated 28 June 1614, dedicated to 'Il signore Firolamo Biedo, Il
Senatore'.  This copy contains many reworkings and alterations.
R.3.44a. dated 28 September 1614."

Ms. Riley's translation is primarily based on the MS at the British Museum,
Natural History: M.S. Banks 91. "this is the copy dedicated to Lucy,
Countess of Bedford.  Castelvetro wrote out the dedication himself, the rest
of the MS is written in an elegant French hand by a professional scribe."

Thomas, you'll have to post a translation of some of those rumpolt salads
before I'll agree that Castelvetro would have been "hymnic about them :->

ciao,
Eden
WARNING: Dates on the calendar are closer than they appear!

Eden Rain
raghead at liripipe.com