SC - Fine cakes/Shortbread-VERY LONG

Jeff Heilveil heilveil at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 3 07:58:46 PDT 2000

At 05:29 PM 8/30/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Anyone else playing with waffers?
>
>-- Harriet

OOH, Pizzelles!  I play with my pizzelle iron often.  I'm planning on
taking my iron to a ren faire next month, and selling the wonderful little
things at a food booth.  I've had my pizzlle iron for over 15 years...
My iron came with the following recipe, just a bit different from yours:

3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup melted butter
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. anise seed or extract

Mix together in order given (I mix the baking powder in with the flour,
then add).  Bake.

Lately, I've been experimenting with different spicing.  I used the basic
recipe, decreased the vanilla to 1 tsp, and added 3/4 tsp. cinnamon.  I
also had a success with ginger in the same amounts.  For a more intense
flavor, use more spices.  The anise can be replaced with 1 tsp. grated
lemon peel ( or lemon extract), for a wonderful lemon wafer (great with
tea).  Have you tried rolling them yet?  If you pull them off the iron and
roll them around something the size of a broom handle, you can fill them
with sweetened whipped cream, or any other sweet filling.  Leanna