SC - Re: : Period Foods for Kids/my experiment

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Sun Sep 3 19:00:27 PDT 2000

<< ... pimpernels, which are a flower of the primrose family and, I
believe, edible? I mean, since we're already eating hops??? >>

Dear friend Tacitus Adamantius,

in 1581, hops salad is nothing new.

- -- Hops salad is mentioned two generations earlier in the writings of
the medical doctor Alexander Seitz ("salat von hopffen broßlen"; ed.
86.6)

- -- In the herbal of Hieronymus Bock (ed. 1577) in the "Hopfen"-chapter,
the author says:
"Jm Früling lassen die Leckermeuler die jungen dolden der Hopffen zu:om
Sallat bereiten/ wie die jungen Spargen/ vnnd halten das für ein gesunde
speiß der verstopfften Lebern"
(in spring, the glutonous have the young shoots/sprouts (?) of hop
prepared as a salad, comparable to the preparation of young asparagus,
and they think that this is a healthy dish for the
constipated/obstructed liver).
About the latin name of hopfen, he says: "andere nennen den Hopffen
lupulum" (others call hop lupulum).

- -- In the German translation of Platina 1542, chapter IV 14 is about
"hopfen salat" (hops salad), and that sheds some light on the (proper)
translation of the latin version (de conditura Lupulorum). -- I guess,
in Platina IV 14 "hop" is meant (Milham p. 224-25). Faccioli's Italian
translation has "Como condire il luppolo" (how to season hop).

- -- according to Victor Hehn and O. Schrader, the consumption of hop
shoots is mentioned VERY much earlier in the writings of Pliny ...

- -- Re: comsumption of pimpernel ("edible?"), see Platina IV 11 ...

BTW, "Ein Hopffen Salat" (a hops salad) is part of the "Das vierdt
Keyerlich Bancket. Der erste Gang zum Nachtmahl/ am Fasttag" (the fourth
banquet of the/for the emperor/Kaiser. The first course of an evening
meal in lent), Rumpolt's menus p. 17; another hops salad is mentioned in
a menu on p. 29.

Thanks Gwen Cat, for the translation!

Best & more on Rumpolt's salads later,
Thomas