SC - Manual de mujeres #109,111,132,134,135

Dana Huffman letrada at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 5 14:47:09 PDT 2000

>  On Tue, 5 Sep 2000, Sue Clemenger wrote:
>
>  > Where do you buy the casings? Are they available at meat counters, or
>  >  Last time I saw them they where in a nice packet in the frozen food
>  section of one of the local grocery stores. But that's in Sweden, dunno
>  about the states. Ask the nice people at the counter.

>>> <ChannonM at aol.com> 9/5/00 4:57:01 PM >>>
>From the info I have freezing them is a bad thing, breaks down the collagen
and fibres and results in lots of holes.  I bought mine at a butcher's shop in our local farmers market.<<<SNIP>>>

I have also had that experience of freezing destroying them.  BUT (this is a great one . . .) if you keep the rascals in a strong brine, the water won't freeze, and neither does the casing.  The stuff I bougth from a butcher came in this intense salt water that doesn't freeze, and they are staying fine (butcher claims for a couple years after opening).  I just have to rinse them pretty well to remove the salt, if desired, and then they are ready to go when at room temp.  If you let the saline/brine level drop, the casings freezer burn and break really easily.  I bought them by the pound, and got enough for about 100# of sausage in one hank.

So far, Le Menagier's recipe has been a favorite around here (hot smoked), though I have numerous more recipes on the drawing board. I'll appreciate any recipes developed, Hauviette, and I'll post my Menagier version this evening if it isn't already webbed off my personal site.

niccolo difrancesco
(at least 20% fat . . . 40% is a better sausage. . . 50% is described in Le Menagier.  Otherwise it gets too dry.)