SC - platina feast

Gaylin iasmin at home.com
Tue Sep 5 21:12:23 PDT 2000

Having just finished Michael Crichton book _Timeline_ (it's alright, not
real medivialish tho'), I like to bring forth a question on one of the
scenes. He has a cook bring out a subletly colored yellow with dandelion and
saffron. This just doesn't seem correct for the 1300's. I mean, saffron does
a fine enough job coloring as it is, why would they add dandelion? and Where
do you think he got the notion that dandelion flowers were used as coloring?
Looking through the bib, the three cookbooks he sites are:
Maggie Black's The Medieval Cookbook
Bridget Ann Henisch's Fast and Feast; Food in Medieval Society
and
<oh gack>
Madeleine Cosman's Fabulous Feasts: medieval Cookery and Ceremony

So is the dandelion coloring one of Cosman's imagination problems or did
they really use the flower for that?
(and more inportatly, should someone write a letter to Crichton explaining
the problems of Fab Feasts and suggest Thous. Eggs as a replacement for the
sequel? : )  )

Beatrix

- ---