SC - testicles, wombs, penises and other tasty things

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Sep 5 23:00:36 PDT 2000

Vicente commented:
> De Nola's got some pretty wacky instructions in places anyway; a recipe he
> gives for a distilled broth for invalids advises the cook to heat a number
> of gold pieces in the fire and add them to the finished broth.  The more hot
> gold you throw in, the more the broth will be worth.
>
> So go figure...

Actually this one is not that wierd, at least considering some of the
medical and philosophical theory of the time. Gold was the "perfect"
metal. Adding gold to food was supposed to add some of this to the
food. This idea came from the East and then through the Middle East.
It is one reason that you see gold foil used in medieval food decoration.

I think we've discussed some of this here before. I also might be
able to dig out the referances I read some of this in.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net