SC - shortbread/-cakes & salad

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 6 04:52:06 PDT 2000

<snip>
>perhaps I am misunderstanding your thought processes here..........
>
>Ras

Yes, I think so.  The question was whether such "excessive" use of sugar
was justified in an adaptation of a late 16th century English recipe, or
should the sugar have been added only in small quantities, as in mid-15th
century recipes where it is used primarily as a spice?

I found some similar cookie/biskit recipes from within a few years of the
time & also from England, that used a pound of sugar to a pound of flour.
To my mind, this justifies the use of my cup of sugar in this particular
recipe.

(BTW, they tasted good, held together well, and the kids liked them. And
no, I didn't try it with less sugar yet, because I moved before I finished
testing this, & my oven here is a piece of @#$%.)

This does not mean that mine is the only adaptation possible. It does not
mean that other adaptations won't taste good.  It simply means that I can
document people in this time & place using a 1:1 ratio of flour to sugar,
at least sometimes, to make biskits & cakes.

(They also used a whole heckuvalotta sugar to make candy, but that's
another story.)

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
Author and Publisher of "Take a Thousand Eggs or More" and "A Sip Through Time"
http://www.thousandeggs.com
cindy at thousandeggs.com