SC - Andalusian Cookbook now webbed

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Sep 6 13:28:14 PDT 2000

Being at work and not immediately able to run to my cupboards to
measure and weigh. I thought the original recipes said a pound of
flour and a pound of sugar.  Is not sugar heavier by the cup then
sieved flour?  I mean that's what I thought when I saw the measurements.

And wouldn't the baked flour weigh even less than the unbaked?
So, it seems not unreasonable to assign a two to one ratio for a volume
measurement versus a weight measurement.

So the question is: are we measuring by weight or by volume when
we are recreating this recipe?

Kateryn de Develyn

<<"Cindy M. Renfrow" wrote:

> This does not mean that mine is the only adaptation possible. It does not
> mean that other adaptations won't taste good.  It simply means that I can
> document people in this time & place using a 1:1 ratio of flour to sugar,
> at least sometimes, to make biskits & cakes.

And it should be noted that while a 1:1 ratio is documentable in some
cases, Cindy's recipe is in the ratio of 2:1, flour to sugar, which
seems not unreasonable.

Adamantius>>