SC - Boorish Table Manners in London-OT

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Sep 6 19:25:35 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 6 Sep 00,, that Nanna Rognvaldardottir wrote:

> Vicente wrote:
> >bisol: no idea whatsoever.
>

> "Bisso" and "bis" are Catalan names of the chub mackarel (Scomber
> japonicus colias), according to Mediterranean Seafood by Alan Davidson - I
> wonder if that could be it.

I think so.  Grewe (in the footnotes to _Libre de Sent Sovi_) says that
bisol is the plural of bis, and he identifies it as Scomber japonicus
colias.

> >saiton: described as a bitter fish, best eaten with the head and entrails
> >removed.
>

> Don´t know - will see what I can find.

This one is more of a stretch, but... Grewe lists "seito" (also spelled
"xeyto" as a synonym of "aladroc", which is Catalan for anchovy
(Engraulis encrasicholus).  This is confirmed by the second website
listed below.  However, I do not know fish well enough to know if the
anchovy matches Nola's description.

Here are the websites I mentioned, which have some lists of Catalan
food terminology.  They are modern, but may still be of help:

http://www.uib.es/secc6/slg/gt/noms_peixos.html
http://www.gencat.es/dict/serveis/servling/alimenta.htm

Hope this helps.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain