SC - Another Catalan/Spanish translation resource

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Sep 7 21:24:11 PDT 2000

- --=====================_2866715==_.ALT

Stefan, I don't have access to the OED, but the Merriam-Webster had this to
say:

>                      Main Entry: 3peel
>                      Function: noun
>                      Etymology: Middle English pele, from Middle French,
> from Latin pala
>                      Date: 14th century
>                      : a usually long-handled spade-shaped instrument
> that is used chiefly by
>                      bakers for getting something (as bread or pies) into
> or out of the oven

I hope this helps...
Prydwen

At 10:36 PM 9/7/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>I tried to post this yesterday, but I haven't seen it, so I'm
>trying again from home this time.
>
>Stefan
>------------------
>Today, I had an inquiry from Michael Sohocki, a student
>at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY.
>
> >But my question is this--what is the derivation
> >of the term "peel"?
>
>By this he means the wooden paddle used to move
>food into and out of medieval ovens. As he gave me
>a very good description of the item, when I wasn't
>sure which definition of "peel" he was referring to,
>he doesn't need info on the item, just some info on
>where the name is derived from.

"God has made the cat to give man the pleasure of caressing the
tiger."  Victor Hugo
- --=====================_2866715==_.ALT

Merriam-Webster had this to say:<br>

Main Entry: 3peel<br>

Function: noun<br>

Etymology: Middle English pele, from Middle French, from Latin pala<br>

Date: 14th century<br>

: a usually long-handled spade-shaped instrument that is used chiefly
by<br>

bakers for getting something (as bread or pies) into or out of the oven
I hope this helps...<br>
Prydwen<br>
At 10:36 PM 9/7/2000 -0500, you wrote:<br>
seen it, so I'm<br>
trying again from home this time.<br>
Stefan<br>
- ------------------<br>
Today, I had an inquiry from Michael Sohocki, a student <br>
at the Culinary Institute of America in Hyde Park, NY.<br>
>But my question is this--what is the derivation <br>
>of the term "peel"?<br>
By this he means the wooden paddle used to move<br>
food into and out of medieval ovens. As he gave me<br>
a very good description of the item, when I wasn't<br>
sure which definition of "peel" he was referring to,<br>
he doesn't need info on the item, just some info on<br>
where the name is derived from.<br>