SC - scale

Wajdi wajdi at home.com
Sat Sep 9 06:09:00 PDT 2000

Nisha asked:
> I have  question. Evidently several of you are way
> more advanced than I am where period recipes and
> feastocrating are concerned. HEre's the question,
> where do I start. I am really seriously thinking about
> feastocrasting for an event coming up. It's still in
> the early planning stages, so I have no idea how many
> people we are talking about, or the theme that kind of
> hting.
>  I've done field kitchens, and helped in the kitchens
> and serving for other people who were feastocratting.
> I'm five months pregnant (with a few minor
> comlications), so I'm not quite sure how much extra
> work I want to take on for right now. It may be better
> for me to wait til after the baby is born
> before I offer to do an event. Can someone give me
> some advice.

There have been numerous conversations here before on being
a headcook for SCA events. I like to think I've saved some of
the best for folks later reading. Take a look at some of the
files in the FEASTS section of my Florilegium. Here are a few
of the files that I think might be of interest:

headcooks-msg    (130K)  8/24/00    Advice for SCA headcooks. Planning feasts.
feasts-fish-msg   (11K)  8/21/00    Serving fish at SCA feasts.
feast-decor-msg   (17K)  6/17/99    Decorating the feasthall.
feast-ideas-msg   (42K)  1/19/98    Ideas for SCA feasts.
feast-menus-msg   (44K)  4/11/00    Feast menus from various SCA feasts.
feast-serving-msg (78K)  1/10/00    Ideas for serving feasts. How to organise.
fst-disasters-msg (50K)  8/ 2/00    Tales of SCA feasts that were disasters.
Fst-Menus-art     (11K)  4/15/99    "On Rules for Feast Menus"
                                      by Lord Daniel Raoul le Vascon du Navarre.
HC-butchers-art   (13K) 10/ 4/97    For Headcooks - How to work with
your local
                                       butcher.
high-table-msg    (14K)  6/28/00    Setting up and serving the High Table.
kitchen-clean-msg (14K)  6/11/99    Cleaning the kitchen after an SCA event.
Run-a-Feast-art   (14K) 11/ 2/98    "About Running a Feast" by Minna Gantz.
warming-ovens-msg  (9K)  7/16/99    Using warming ovens for SCA feasts.

There are also a number of files describing various feasts that
have been done in the past few years and often the menu and recipes
from the feast.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net