SC - Stoves

margali margali at 99main.com
Sun Sep 10 07:06:11 PDT 2000

> No need to do so. The recipe was not requested. The source of the recipe
was
> and apparently the kick in the ankle was a little low since Chykes was way
> off the mark so far as any resemblance to hummus which the White Sals
recipe
> clearly is. To make things a little more clear, it was the White Sals
recipe
> which was worked on in the boat on the exciting sailing adventure.
>
> Ras

Hmmm.... Are you sure about this Ras?  I realize my brain is typically
bourbon soaked, and even more dangerous, overloaded with things mundane for
the last nine or ten months, but a check through the appropriate resources
leads me to believe I'm not quite that befuddled.  IIRC the resource you had
with you on the sailing trip was Curye on Inglysche, not Cariadoc's
wonderful volumes, though you may also have had those and I didn't see them,
but I do clearly remember the brown hardback.  Sals is the dish we did for
the first course at the Ladies Champions feast in Confed and consists of
yoghurt and seasonings, according top your article in the Florilegium.  I
remember this quite clearly because it was such a wonderful dish and you
were quite gracious in spending some time with me explaing how the draining
of the yoghurt gave a much more pleasing texture.
As far as Chyches being 'way off the mark so far as any resemblance to
hummus' goes, well, I'm a little confused.  Any recipe  I've ever had or
made for hummus used either chickpeas, as does Chyches, or tahini which,
IIRC, you taught me was a paste of sesame seeds.  That was one thing that
always puzzled me a little about the 'hummus' like redaction done on the
boat.  Why substitute peanut butter for chickpeas or tahini when both are so
readily available?  Again, my memory is a little fuzzy, but perhaps it was
because we were out and about on the Narragannsett and had neither of those
with us, but plenty of peanut butter?  I cannot otherwise imagine why a man
as reknowned for meticulous adherence to period practices and ingredients
would use a new world food in a period recipe.
Then again, maybe I've been way off the mark my entire life and hummus is
actually a cheese like spread and not a paste of roasted sesame seeds and/or
chickpeas as I thought.  I look forward to your response in this matter, as
well as any enlightment other gentles on the list might provide.  Oh, one
other thing, my copies of the miscellany and His Grace's collection of
cookbooks does not contain your reference "The Book of the Beloved."  Would
it be possible for me to get a copy of this from you, or would that be in
violation of copyright protections?

regards, Puck