SC - Re: SC- Platina Feast

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Sun Sep 10 14:28:30 PDT 2000

Then again, maybe I've been way off the mark my entire
life and hummus
is
actually a cheese like spread and not a paste of
roasted sesame seeds
and/or
chickpeas as I thought.

The hummus I have in my fridge fight now (bought at a
middle eastern store) is chickpeas, tahini, olive oil
and lemon juice and salt. There is a middle eastern
spread that is made from drained yogurt that is
wonderful, but I can't recall the modern name of it.
I've had it and can't recall the medieval name of it
either. (can you say brain fart?)
  I have never really made a concentrated effort to do
period foods except for a few desserts. And what I did
there, was take things I knew they had, and combined
them in a way that I thought made sense. I didn't have
a recipe to translate or anything. Like I have said
before I'm relatively new to this part of the whole
SCA experience compared to so many on this list. I
have been cooking for several years, including some
food service time. BUt the period food seems to be a
whole nother ball game.
I appreciate the wealth of information you wonderful
people gave me on whether or not to be a feastocrat
while almost 6 months pregnant. I am going to
volunteer to help. I ask a little patience if I come
up with what may seem to most of you to be obvious
questions. But  I've always believed taht the only
stupid question is the one you should've asked and
didn't. :) ANd from a couple of the replies here
today, I'm not hte only one who feels that way. I hope
you all have a wonderful day. Walmart is calling.
Nisha