SC - TI article?

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Sun Sep 10 16:33:08 PDT 2000

Hello folks,

Jasmine and I are working on Lucanian sausages today. Lots of fun. But we
have some questions. We followed the period recipes which is 10% salt by
weight. The trial patties we fried were, well, unpalatable. We added half
again as much meat and even boiled up a trial sausage (presmoked) but still
the sausage is too salty. We are going to add another 6lbs of ground pork,
bringing the total up to over 20 lbs meat to 1 lb salt (including curing salt
with nitrites) and 3 oz fennel seed and 3 oz cracked bl. pepper.

We recognize that we have diverted from the original recipe, but man, if you
ate what we ate, you'd agree that the sausage would be unacceptable at a
feast. We did postulate that salted, smoked foods such as fish and hams etc
would have been boiled sometimes numerously to remove salt and reconstitute
the product. As such we intend on boiling the sausage the day of the feast to
1) warm it 2) remove excess salt.

Our question is, has anyone been working with the Lucanian sausage recipe
recently, what were your experiences regarding the salt concentration, what
did you do about it etc. We did check the Florithingy and the only messages
we could find mentioned the experiment and that it was excessively salty, but
did not go into detail as to whether or not they dealt with the issue and the
results. The web address mentioned
http://www.geocities.com/athens/academy/9523/cooking.html
is not functioning,so we were unable to follow up on the poster's experience.

Any input folks?

Hauviette