SC - desserts

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Sep 10 18:50:10 PDT 2000

Leanna asked:
> >upsxdls_osu at ionet.net writes:
> ><< as, I'm done raising children, but next time free "fries" come my way,
> > I'll let you know! Leanna  >>

The yield from children would seem to be rather low. Especially from any
daughters. :-)

> >Thank you for your kindness. Eagerly awaiting your future post. :-)Ras
>
> I may have found a new source yesterday.  A new friend usually works pigs
> in the summer.  Horrors! They ususally let the dogs eat the fries.  Would
> pork be acceptable?  I'm going to have him save some for me...Leanna

Yes, there do appear to be recipes for these. The following are excerpts
from the organ-meats-msg file in the FOOD section of my files:

Perhaps these excerpts or the file will give you a starting point on
what to do with your new acquisitions.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net

> I don't recall having seen medieval recipes that refer specifically to
> testicles. There are a few Roman recipes for various elaborate mixed
> stews and patinae that call for capon testicles, IIRC. Somewhere along
> the line I have seen recipes for pig's or lamb's fry, but as I recall,
> it wasn't immediately clear whether the main ingredient was testicles or
> unborn, fetal animals.
>
> There are some late-and/or-post-period recipes (the ones I have seen are
> English, but I suspect similar ones can be found in sources from other
> countries, particularly France and Spain), again calling for various
> assortments of "dainties", such as cock's combs, capon brains, capon
> testicles, sweetbreads, etc., to be used in quelcechoses (a.k.a.
> kickshaws) and oleos.
   -Adamantius