SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Mon Sep 11 06:45:40 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Laura C. Minnick" <lcm at efn.org>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2000 2:42 AM
Subject: Re: SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

> Morgan Cain wrote:
>
> > The problems with period foods are (1) many of them are not appropriate
> > feed to hot, hungry, salt-deprived fighters, and (2) many of them are
> > difficult to convey to a far distant war, especially in the quantities
> > needed for a week, with refrigeration and preparation problems.  :
>
> 1) period foods most certainly ARE appropriate to feed to hot, hungry
> fighters. The men at Agincourt didn't eat Twinkies, and I'm actually not
> sure about jerky (certainly not jerky made with Worchestershire sauce
> and red pepper flakes). Wouldn't it be more productive to find out what
> they _did_ eat than to make excuses for modern food? Come to think of
> it, when it comes to salt deprivation, I have seen fighters go through
> olives a can at a time, and mow through pickled vegetables and eggs.
> Those would travel well, and I wonder if Fluellen had some in his pouch
> with his leek?

Actually the I have asked this question on the Calon-list and was told in no
uncertain terms that the Calontir fighters DON'T WANT period foods after the
battles. They want the soup, the Gatorade, the PBJ and any other high Carb
food.  That is what Jenna provides what the fighters want. This is not a
Kingdom sanctioned activity, It is all done with donations. So she is at the
mercy of the donors, mainly the fighters, and period foods would cost her
too much.

Thorbjorn

- ---