SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

sdrake steldr at home.net
Mon Sep 11 08:19:09 PDT 2000

Greetings The List

Melisande from Calontir here, de-lurking for just a moment to defend
Jenna of Southwind.

I suspect [tho I do not know for sure] someone suggested to Jenna that
she write an article about what she does for our fighters.  What she
gave
was an account of her experience:  what works and what didn't work.
Anyone who knows Jenna understands that she is one of the kindest, most
giving individuals to be found.  SERVICE is her way.

Those who mentioned households are correct; tho they exist, they are a
smaller part of the total experience here.  Many people, including
myself, are not members of households.  However, it is not unheard of
for
Calontiri to come to war with no food and no bedding, yet go to sleep
with a well-fed tummy,  spending a warm night on a soft palette.
Calontir takes care of its own.

Unfortunately, here in Calontir authenticity on the list is sometimes
neglected.  [mounting soapbox]  And when a duke and his cronies come to
war wearing blue-jean overalls on the field, authenticity is not the
message that is sent to the populous.  [dismounting soapbox]  My
personal
wish would be for just a smidge more authenticity, but it is hard to
teach old fighters new tricks, and when it comes down to it, nothing
about the SCA requires them to be more authentic than they already are.

The article is not trash, as was suggested by some.  It simply was not
directed toward the "period" audience.  TI is a publication for all of
the SCA.  Remember, there are at least as many non-authenticity mavens
as
there are authenticity mavens.  Non-authenticity folks have to put up
with all those articles detailing how to cast your own sewing needles.
Please have patience with an article dedicated to the very mundane task
of helping fighters to take care of themselves.  This is our way.  I
would be delighted to hear about yours.

Yours in Service,
}V{el

Melisande Saucheverel
Martinwood Forest on the Savage Lands
Barony of Forgotten Sea
Kingdom of Calontir

Post Script
Love the idea for Complete Anachronist [a venue specifically for
authenticity mavens].  Can't wait to read it!