SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Michael F. Gunter michael.gunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Mon Sep 11 12:21:07 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/11/00 12:37:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
morgancain at earthlink.net writes:

<< Criticizing the work of two women who are not on this list also appears to
be less than useful.

I can clearly follow and understand your reasoning throughout the entirety of
your post except for this statement. As practitioners of the art of cookery
and as experienced cooks in the SCA many of us CAN criticize the work of
others. The publication of such work in a public forum makes it fair game for
critical review.

What you fail to see is that the article was not the issue but rather the
presumption that it is a good thing to encourage readers of an official SCA
publication to emulate a modern process without giving period or periodlike
alternative and without specifying that the thing described is not period.

Also I tend to think that you see such criticism as being critical of the
persons themselves and the work they do. That is not the case. I am sure they
do well with what they have to work with. In fact, I applaud them that they
can feed such a group of 'fussy' eaters. :-)

The secret of using modern things in the SCA, in my mind, is really quite
simple. It is saying 'this or that is NOT period and should in no way be
construed as being period.' There was no indication in the article that such
was the case. THAT is one of my main objections to it.

BTW, pretzels and sausages are period. Orange slices are also period albeit
sweet oranges in Europe would have been somewhat late in SCA period but
perhaps not too out of time in the middle east.

FWIW, all recipes I personally post to this list are Tried and True. Without
exception, the majority of them have been used to feed 100 plus people. The
only failures that would result from their use would be if the recipe is
deviated from or added to.

Ras
The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones.- Solomon Ibn Gabirol
http://members.aol.com/AbhainnCG/