SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Sep 11 13:58:53 PDT 2000

- --=_F9A17057.1D7C118C

>>> Morgan Cain<morgancain at earthlink.net> 9/11/00 3:23:08 PM >>>
<<<  But the Support Kitchen that Ms. Jenna wrote about is not used at =
local events.  It is designed for use, and only appears, at foreign wars.  =
. . . .  Your answer appears to be directed only to lunch at daylong =
events, not feeding hungry fighters who have returned from an afternoon of =
battle at Estrella, Gulf Wars, or Pennsic. >>>

I am aware that several encampments served documentable dishes to their =
encampments for at least a portion of the War Week.  they didnt have the =
full monte due to lack of interest from some cooks when their turn came =
around.  My experience at Fools' War here in South GA is that it is no =
more difficult to prepare for medieval recipes over modern recipes.  A =
strong knowledge of the corpus, and a committment to food storage and =
preparation can overcome the hardships.  Preparing Egurdouce is no more =
difficult than preparing chili, for example.

<<<. . . . Someone else offered some information from other events, not =
specifying if it is a war.  I have suggested that someone from the =
Mountain Confederation, the ONLY group stated to feed their fighters =
period foods AT A WAR, be asked to write a follow-up article. >>>

We may find that there are more groups out there preparing historicla =
foods in the field.  There are groups that pride themselves on it, in =
fact.  House Blackstar in Atlantia is one such group.  Not always =
authentic historical, but always capable of it.  We could possibly benefit =
from a coordinator making inquiries into cooking groups in various =
kingdoms . . . a sort of geographic ethnography.

<<< So, do you allow modern versions of period items, or require that =
people make the period version?  Just curious.  When aiming for ease in =
feeding about 80 persons at least once per day for the four days of =
Estrells, something-teen hours from home, I would accept boughten pretzels =
as an acceptable variation.  My Barony and the next one over are talking =
about having a community kitchen at Gulf Wars -- this means cooking for =
about 100 persons, three meals per day, for five days.  It's one thing if =
you do it for a day event, another when you're at a remote location with =
no grocery store handy-by.  >>>>

My view of this is that comes once again to personal choice.  We are an =
organization that espouses placing value on learning, teaching and =
recreating what was done in the Middle Ages and Renaissance.  Each person =
gets to decide how far down that particular road he or she can comfortably =
journey given their experience, resources and courage.  We find that there =
are empassioned proponents of going even farther and challenging status =
quo/comfort zones to the growth benefit of the individuals and Society as =
a whole (Ras is one, and I only mentioned here as the target of the =
previous email to which I am responding.).  We only grow inasmuch as we do =
things differently than we are comfortable with accomplishing.  TI has a =
wonderful opportunity to present that sort of info to more people than I =
personally can in the same time frame.
    There are those out there who have not aspired to the level of food =
presentation discussed in the article.  That means that someone out there =
was challenged to step up to the plate and try that much.  Others are much =
farther down the road.  The trick is to realize where on the road one is =
so that one doesn't claim more credibility than one might should.  Else, =
those who are up the road will come back to take issue.  I'm not saying =
anyone claimed anything unearned, just that in the absence of clear =
delineation, there has risen an outcry.
    My closing is to allow those who are proud of their accomplishments be =
proud.  Acclaim their accomplishment, take a breath to pause, then =
challenge them to ride that wave of success to the next success.  This =
lady who authored the article in question (which I have not yet read) =
cetainly could be drawn into the fold and rescued from the dark side of =
pre-packaged carbohydrates, Betty Crocker and Emeril Legasse.  Her skills =
can be honed to use grains of paradise and turnips.  FIRST, we allow =
everyone to have the right to be on the road here they are on the road.  =
Ah, fair tolerance. . . it's not just for breakfast anymore!

pacem et bonum,

niccolo difrancesco

- --=_F9A17057.1D7C118C

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META content="MSHTML 5.00.2614.3500" name=GENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff
style="FONT: 10pt Arial; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px; MARGIN-TOP: 2px">
<DIV>>>> Morgan Cain<morgancain at earthlink.net> 9/11/00 3:23:08 PM
>>><BR><<<  But the Support Kitchen that Ms. Jenna wrote
about is not used at local events.  It is designed for use, and only
appears, at foreign wars.  . . . .  Your answer appears to be directed
only to lunch at daylong events, not feeding hungry fighters who have returned
from an afternoon of battle at Estrella, Gulf Wars, or Pennsic.
>>></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>I am aware that several encampments served documentable dishes to their
encampments for at least a portion of the War Week.  they didnt have the
full monte due to lack of interest from some cooks when their turn came
around.  My experience at Fools' War here in South GA is that it is no more
difficult to prepare for medieval recipes over modern recipes.  A strong
knowledge of the corpus, and a committment to food storage and preparation can
overcome the hardships.  Preparing Egurdouce is no more difficult than
preparing chili, for example.<BR><BR><<<. . . . Someone else
offered some information from other events, not specifying if it is a war.
I have suggested that someone from the Mountain Confederation, the ONLY group
stated to feed their fighters period foods AT A WAR, be asked to write a
follow-up article. >>></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>We may find that there are more groups out there preparing historicla foods
in the field.  There are groups that pride themselves on it, in fact.
House Blackstar in Atlantia is one such group.  Not always authentic
historical, but always capable of it.  We could possibly benefit from a
coordinator making inquiries into cooking groups in various kingdoms . . . a
sort of geographic ethnography.</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV><<< So, do you allow modern versions of period items, or require
that people make the period version?  Just curious.  When aiming for
ease in feeding about 80 persons at least once per day for the four days of
Estrells, something-teen hours from home, I would accept boughten pretzels as an
acceptable variation.  My Barony and the next one over are talking about
having a community kitchen at Gulf Wars -- this means cooking for about 100
persons, three meals per day, for five days.  It's one thing if you do it
for a day event, another when you're at a remote location with no grocery store
handy-by.  >>>></DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>My view of this is that comes once again to personal choice.  We are
an organization that espouses placing value on learning, teaching and recreating
what was done in the Middle Ages and Renaissance.  Each person gets to
decide how far down that particular road he or she can comfortably journey given
their experience, resources and courage.  We find that there are
empassioned proponents of going even farther and challenging status quo/comfort
zones to the growth benefit of the individuals and Society as a whole (Ras is
one, and I only mentioned here as the target of the previous email to
which I am responding.).  We only grow inasmuch as we do things
differently than we are comfortable with accomplishing.  TI has a wonderful
opportunity to present that sort of info to more people than I personally can in
the same time frame.</DIV>
<DIV>    There are those out there who have not aspired to the
level of food presentation discussed in the article.  That means that
someone out there was challenged to step up to the plate and try that
much.  Others are much farther down the road.  The trick is to realize
where on the road one is so that one doesn't claim more credibility than one
might should.  Else, those who are up the road will come back to take
issue.  I'm not saying anyone claimed anything unearned, just that in the
absence of clear delineation, there has risen an outcry.</DIV>
<DIV>    My closing is to allow those who are proud of their
accomplishments be proud.  Acclaim their accomplishment, take a breath to
pause, then challenge them to ride that wave of success to the next
success.  This lady who authored the article in question (which I have not
yet read) cetainly could be drawn into the fold and rescued from the dark side
of pre-packaged carbohydrates, Betty Crocker and Emeril Legasse.  Her
skills can be honed to use grains of paradise and turnips.  FIRST, we allow
everyone to have the right to be on the road here they are on the
road.  Ah, fair tolerance. . . it's not just for breakfast
anymore!</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>
<DIV>pacem et bonum,</DIV>
<DIV> </DIV>