SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Mon Sep 11 14:31:04 PDT 2000

> One of my more interesting culinary experiences was to hear the Baron wax
> lyrical about the "moist, hot, DONE chicken" I served at a feast.  His paean
> to the chicken was based on feasts where the chicken had been cooked to
> death or was underdone, both too common evils from cooks unschooled in the
> art of feeding large groups.

Also, when feeding a large group on the battlefiel, especially over the
long period of time (4 hours or more) described in the artidcle, certain
foods keep to be kept coool. Blood-warm hard-boiled eggs, cooked chicken,
cheese, etc. will turn people off, while keeping them in a cooler with a
little ice and only putting out a bowlful at a time will not only save you
money and your eaters disapointment, but will make the food more appealing
to fighters who are overheated and exhausted.

Oddly enough, we found that fighters didn't want soup-- too complicated
when it involved a boil and a spoon. *sigh* You gotta bow to local customs
somewhat-- for instance we don't serve non-hard sausage because of a
tramatic experience years ago. We also don't serve bananas on the day of
the fighting, over our fighter's protests, because one of our MOLs holds
it as an article of faith that potassium taken after exercise causes
cramps convulsions etc. (And I'd rather argue with 10 fighters than one
MOL any day).

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net

" Oh, Adam was a gardener, and God who made him sees
That half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees,
So when your work is finished, you can wash your hands and pray
For the Glory of the Garden, that it may not pass away!" -- Kipling