SC - Re: SC- Platina Feast

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Sep 11 17:46:58 PDT 2000

At 7:10 AM -0500 9/11/00, Morgan Cain wrote:

>Good points, Ras, but you are the only one to state this clearly.  Everybody
>else seems to be decrying the article as a whole, and I am afraid there will
>be several letters offered up saying how horrible the support kitchen idea
>is and that nobody should follow the article -- despite the fact that it has
>been working, on a major scale, for many years.

We can wait and see, but I would be surprised. None of the posts I
saw here argued that the idea of a support kitchen was
horrible--merely that the article was.

>And face it, for all of you persons highly successful at feeding period
>foods to an army of 80 or so after battles at all major wars -- where were
>YOUR articles?  If you think that TI should be focusing on the period
>instead of nonperiod, then perhaps one of you should have written the
>article instead.

Elizabeth and I haven't written one on that particular subject, but
you can find several of our articles on doing period food in various
contexts in the SCA by looking through your back issues, and more in
the _Miscellany_.

Do you really want to argue that if there is any subject on which an
appropriate article has not been written, then complaining about an
inappropriate article is out of place? There are an awful lot of
subjects.

>I would also be interested in hearing what people HAVE DONE to feed
>fighters, instead of "what I would like to do," which is the gist of most of
>the messages I have read on this topic.

Our standard practice for many years has been to bring cold
sekanjabin to fighter practices, along with cups. As, of course, you
already know.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/