SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Sep 11 11:33:31 PDT 2000

At 7:35 AM -0500 9/11/00, Michael Newton wrote:

>Actually the I have asked this question on the Calon-list and was told in no
>uncertain terms that the Calontir fighters DON'T WANT period foods after the
>battles. They want the soup, the Gatorade, the PBJ and any other high Carb
>food.  That is what Jenna provides what the fighters want. This is not a
>Kingdom sanctioned activity, It is all done with donations. So she is at the
>mercy of the donors, mainly the fighters, and period foods would cost her
>too much.

Two separate points:

1. What people want is in part a function of what they have been
exposed to. In areas where we routinely brought sekanjabin to fighter
practices, we didn't observe people responding with "ick, period
drink."

More generally, if you accept the attitude fostered by T.I. running
articles on feeding modern food to SCA fighters, you don't bother to
try to research and spread period food--because modern food is just
fine. Rejecting that attitude doesn't mean snatching twinkies from
the hands of fighters--but it does mean trying to do the things that
will eventually change their attitudes.

2. Why do you assume that period foods would cost more than modern
foods? Sekanjabin is a very inexpensive drink--to take the most
obvious example.
- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law