SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Sep 11 21:02:54 PDT 2000

Lainie said something that again had me thinking about something that
came to my mind earlier in this discussion

> 1)  and I'm actually not
> sure about jerky (certainly not jerky made with Worchestershire sauce
> and red pepper flakes). Wouldn't it be more productive to find out what
> they _did_ eat than to make excuses for modern food? Come to think of
> it, when it comes to salt deprivation, I have seen fighters go through
> olives a can at a time, and mow through pickled vegetables and eggs.

Is giving heavily salted foods to possibly dehydrated fighters actually
a good idea? Wouldn't eating beef jerky, or any heavily salted food,
draw out water from tissues? Wouldn't this make any dehydration even
worse? Or are we assuming that the fighter's salt has also been
depleted and that you just give extra liquid to counteract any liquid
that the salt would tend to suck out of tissues?

Olives and pickled vegetables and eggs have a lot less salt for their
volume than jerky or other salted foods.

Along the line of period possiblities for vinegar items would be
switchel. Like Sekanjabin without the sugar. Seems kind of yucky,
but like gatorade it apparently tastes better when you need it.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net