SC - TI Article - Support Kitchen

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Mon Sep 11 20:30:28 PDT 2000

At 1:26 PM -0400 9/11/00, LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

>oranges (questionably period, perhaps very
>late),

As far as I can tell, sweet oranges get to Europe a century or so
before the end of our period. They are in use in China, of course,
much earlier. Sour oranges are available for all the usual SCA period
(i.e. everything after classical antiquity).

Later Ras writes:

>Orange slices are also period albeit
>sweet oranges in Europe would have been somewhat late in SCA period
>but perhaps not too out of time in the middle east

Do you have evidence that sweet oranges got to the Middle East
earlier? I'm pretty sure they were coming from China, so it is
plausible enough, especially given the close ties between the Ilkhans
and the Mongol rulers of China.

- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/