SC - RE: [SCA-Caid] TI Article - Support Kitchen

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 12 12:55:44 PDT 2000

At 7:16 AM -0500 9/12/00, Morgan Cain wrote:

>Your Grace Cariadoc, you're right that I know about sekanjabin.  And the
>article pointed out that the Support Kitchen uses a lot of sekanjabin, so
>the fighters are not totally opposed to period foods and beverages.  In
>fact, I've found it does wonderfully to counteract the salty taste of a lot
>of the foods (jerky, soup, pickles, pretzels, nuts) served around battles.

Thus demonstrating my point that "period" doesn't have to mean
"strange and unfamiliar," provided that someone goes to the trouble
of making period foods familiar.

>Most
>"pie" in period is like a modern fruit or mince pie, not the pasties you
>reference.

I would have said that most "pie" in period is very  unlike both
pasties and a modern fruit or mince pie, since the typical pie, at
least in the 14th-15th c. English/French corpus, is meat, raisins,
egg, ... or similar things.

I again suggest Barmakiya as a "meat cooked in dough and transportable" dish.

>Aside from Lainie, I wonder how
>many people have actually read the article through?  Especially before they
>started saying bad things about it and the quality of TI on the list?

Speaking for myself, I haven't read the article at all--and I don't
think anything I said depended on the contents of the article.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/