SC - Stopping Bities...

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Tue Sep 12 17:52:31 PDT 2000

Well see now, here comes one of the bad guys again (Puck?  A bad guy for
advocating the use of period foods?  Whodathunkit?) but there is a quite
period solution to this problem that would allow you to serve pork pies
quite easily in any quantity over any length of time.  Where I grew up they
were called country hams, where I am they are called Smithfield hams, and in
general, and period, its plain old salted pork.  Keeps quite well, the salt
boils out so its not excessive, though I hear a lot of people espousing the
feeding of lotsa salt to the fighters (which goes against every bit of my
training, but who the heck do the Navy Steam Engineers think they are
anyway?) and can be used a little at a time without spoiling.

regards, Puck