SC - Insect repellants

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Wed Sep 13 04:17:57 PDT 2000

>Morgan Cain wrote:
>
>> I meant in terms of shape, not filling.  Most period pies, at least in the
>> recipes I have seen, have a "coffyn" of some type and do not indicate the
>> turnover-style of pastry used in a pasty.  Of course, I've been a bit
>> focused of late (strawberry pie A&S entry in the works).
>
>It may not say so in the recipes that we have in our current corpus,
>however, there are period illustrations showing folks eating what look
>for all the world like Hostess Fruit Pies. My favorite is on a French
>ivory, late 14th c., and it shows the fellow with the pie in his hand,
>with a bite out of it, and his mouth is obviously full...
>
>'Lainie

Here is a recipe for a turnover-style fish pasty. There are other similar
recipes in this collection.

Harleian MS. 279 - Dyuerse Bake Metis
x.  Rapeye.  Take Dow, & make [th]er-of a brode [th]in cake; [th]en take
Fygys & Roysonys smal y-grounde, & fyrst y-sode, An a pece of Milwelle or
lenge y-braid with-al; & take pouder of Pepir, Galyngale, Clowe[3], & mence
to-gedere, & ley [th]in comede on [th]e cake in [th]e maner of a benecodde,
y-rollyd with [th]in hond; [th]an ouer-caste thy cake ouer [th]i comade, as
it wol by-clippe hit; & with a sawcere brerde go round as [th]e comade
lyith, & kutte hem, & so he is kut & close with-al, & bake or frye it, &
[th]anne serue it forth.

10.  Rapeye.  Take Dough, & make thereof a broad thin cake; then take Figs
& Raisins small ground, & first seethed, And a piece of Haddock or ling
pounded withal; & take powder of Pepper, Galingale, Cloves, & mix together,
& lay thine mixture on the cake in the manner of a bean-cod, rolled with
thine hand; then cast thy cake over thy mixture, as it will embrace it; &
with a saucer rim go round as the mixture lies, & cut them, & so he is cut
& closed withal, & bake or fry it, & then serve it forth. (From Take a
Thousand Eggs or More, vol. 1, p. 72)

HTH,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
cindy at thousandeggs.com