SC - Sweet and Savory

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 13 16:40:45 PDT 2000

Elysant and Adamantius have been discussing the origin of the word mull.

>Adamantius wrote:
>
>><snip> However, my Webster's New World Dictionary draws a
>>distinction between the mull as in pulverize, and mull as in "soft",
>>associated with, for example, the French oeufs mollet or soft-boiled
>>eggs, and, according to them, with mulled wine and cider. Maybe the
>  >gentle heat?

The Oxford English Dictionnary says that "mull" in that sense is "of
obscure origin", offering as "unsupported conjectures" the connection
with the mulled = ground spices and the connection with mull = to
make soft or mild. The earliest use of the word with that meaning is
from a play (I think) from 1618, and reads: "Do not fire the cellar,
for there's excellent wine in't, Captain, and though the weather be
cold, I do not love it mull'd."

Elizabeth/Betty Cook