SC - Seville Oranges (was Re: Protectorate Feast)

Nicholas Sasso NJSasso at msplaw.com
Thu Sep 14 10:29:07 PDT 2000

> I was planning to add a
> mustard for the beef and I am considering a garlic sauce as well.

I was going to suggest that. But if you make the mustard you had
best get started soon to let it age and mellow a bit. The garlic
pepper sauce would go well to cut the sweetness of the rest of the
mea.

> I'd
> really like to get my hands on Seville oranges for there sourness, but I
> haven't found any locally, so I'll probably settle for Valencias.

I doubt you can get the Sevilles, but you may want to add a bit of lemon
juice to the orange juice to get a better flavor.

> I'm stuck with the spinach tart.  The Baroness is fond of the stuff.
>
> The peas are sugar peas in the pod.  If they don't get overcooked, they
> should provide a textural difference and not be overly sweet.

True. And they will provide a much needed texture difference. I didn't
realize they were in the pod. They will also give a "fresh" taste to
the meal that seeemed lacking.

> Budget and time permitting, I may add
> another baked good and/or a compound salat with piquant dressing.  I'm in
> the phase where budet meets reality and I don't know how much I will have
> available for last minute goodies.

I think a simple salat with a garlic/vinegar/salt style dressing would do
well in the first course and shouldn't strain the budget too bad.

> As the current Protector, you will be at the feast, so you can be the judge
> of how successful the menu is.

Bah, you know I would be there anyway.

> Thanks for the input.

Looks like you are covering the bases.