THANK YOU:::::Re: SC - Re: order of service of a meal

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Thu Sep 14 11:26:19 PDT 2000

Niccolo wrote:

> It came to pass that my dear friend, a 40+ year old attorney of Southern rearage and dyed in the wool sweet tea drinker was trnsferred from GA to Camp Hill, PA for his job.  one of his greatest laments was that no one up there had a recipe for sweet tea, it appeared.  He came to Atlanta for a business trip after 11 months of exile, and suggested we get together for dinner with some friends down here after our local meeting.  I arranged dinner, and he ordered his beloved dextrose laden beverage of steeped vegetable matter . . . at which time it became obvious that I had chosen the ONLY RESTAURANT south of the Mason Dixon line that did not serve sweet tea.  After the moral outrage and attempt to dissolve crystal sugar into cold tea, he made me swear a blood oath that this would not happen again.

Verily, a tale of weeping.  You should have kept going north.  I was on a trip with some other Southern Californian science fiction fan friends to a convention in Vancouver in 1977, when we ordered iced tea only to be surprised with it pre-sugared.  The waitress seemed surprised that we were surprised.  "Haven't you ever ordered iced tea in a restaurant before?"  Seems it's a Canadian thing, or at least a Vancouver thing, as well as a U.S. Southern thing.

Miracle Whip is an abomination before the Almighty and will never be served at my table.  [Judgemental?  Moi?]

Selene
selene at earthlink.net