SC - German menus sca-cooks V1 #2593

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Thu Sep 14 20:30:26 PDT 2000

At 11:31 AM -0700 9/14/00, Nisha Martin wrote:
>Subject: Re: SC - Sweet and Savory
>
>I guess it was a post from someone else earlier...and
>an assumption
>that it was
>a dish introduced to the colonists by their slaves.
>Also, as I
>understand it
>(don't remember the source but IIRC there were
>several), the peanut
>originated
>in Africa.

It seems pretty clear that the peanut originated in the New World. It
was transported to West Africa quite early, presumably by the
Portuguese, with the result that early explorers assumed it was
native to Africa, and their error occasionally makes it into the
literature.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/