SC - beef vs veal in recipes

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Thu Sep 14 23:38:55 PDT 2000

Ari asked:
>       Question for all of you wonderfully able experts:
>
>       I know that there are ways to make 'period' dishes modern somewhat, I
> think anyhow...but, is there a way to make 'modern' dishes period?  Maybe I
> could take something I like from the here and now, and change it to what it
> used to be?  Gods, I hope that made sense...I'm out of coffee, and the
> lavender oil isn't doing a thing for my migraine.

We have had innumberable conversations here on making particular modern
foods more medieval. After listening to the folks on this list, I've
come to agree with those, like Cariadoc, who think it is better to
start with the period recipe than try to work your way back.

What you can do is find a modern food that you like and see if there
are period equivalents or similar period dishes and try them.

We did have a conversation or two a while back on period foods that
are still eaten, such as pancakes, pretzels, salads and others. While
I saved some of this, it hasn't made it into a file. If you would like
I will email it to you.

Or name some food dishes you like, and perhaps I or others can point
you to similar dishes in medieval cooking. I may even be able to point
you to specific files in the Florilegium where you can find recipes for
those items.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net