SC - period dishes for Ari

Bronwynmgn@aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Fri Sep 15 05:22:12 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/15/2000 2:40:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
ArianneShadowWalker at worldnet.att.net writes:

<< Pot roast, any potato dishes, any fish or fowl, finger foods, and
 most especially...desserts!  :) >>

For a wonderful take on pot roast, totally unexpected but very good, try this:

A Drye Stewe for Beef

about 3 lb chuck roast or short ribs
2 onions, minced
1/2 tsp each whole cloves, whole mace blades, and whole peppercorns; or
sprinkle with the ground versions
1/2 cup red wine

Put the meat on a roasting rack in your pan, unless the bottom of the pan is
ridged.  Put the onions and spices on top of the meat, pour the red wine
over, and put a tight-fittin glid on the pot.  Cook as you would pot roast.
You may need to add a bit more water or liquid.

This is from a manuscript referred to as "Arundel", which I believe in 14th
or 15th century English.

You won't find much in the way of potato dishes until the very late
Elizabethan period, and those are nearly always sweet potatoes.  Potatoes
didn't grow in Europe in the SCA time period; they were discovered when the
New World was found, but it took quite a while for them to become popular,
and sweet potatoes became popular first.

<<but I will be especially silent for the next few days...one of my students
passed yesterday and I'm having a hard time of it.>>

OOOH.  I know the feeling, Ari - I work in special education, and it is not
unusual to lose one or two students a year from the whole Intermediate Unit
(we supply special ed services to 22 school districts).  I lose one I
personally work with every few years.  The last one, I cried for a week.
Hang in there, honey.  It'll fade a bit in time.  But it never goes away -
I'm crying now, and Jeff died three years ago.

Brangwayna Morgan