SC - Finally...a job!!

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri Sep 15 04:01:22 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/14/2000 8:52:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
korrin.daardain at juno.com writes:

<< I've read (in sources that are less than entirely trustworthy, alas) that
 one way to bake a chicken was to wrap it in leaves, slather the wrapped
 bird with clay or plaster, and bake the whole thing. >>

I've certainly heard of the method in various primitive cultures (the leaves,
by the way, besides keeping the clay off the bird, also provide flavor and
moisture), but I'm not sure about medieval cooking.  I certainly don't recall
seein the method in any of the cookbooks I own.  But then again, this may
have been a way to roast a bird while travelling, rather than in your kitchen
where you can put it in a pot and seal the pot with dough, or wrap it in
pastry like the Icelandic chicken. I've also heard that if you put the clay
directly on the unplucked chicken, you will pluck it as you pull the clay
off.  Not sure what sort of taste cooked feathers would leave, however!

Brangwayna Morgan