SC - beef vs veal in recipes

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Fri Sep 15 04:53:47 PDT 2000

- --------------9DD02B9BF3C21129F43EA6B7

I hope that's what it is.  It's in a period Chinese recipe, and the translator
didn't actually give a translation, but rather an explanation, which I included
in my original message.  I think, from Adamantius' description, the Japanese ume
may be a close approximation.  At least that's what I am planning to try.  I
found those in the Gold Mine store's catalogue, and, if I don't find them on my
shopping trip tomorrow, I will be ordering them from there.

Thanks again to everyone on the list who has responded.  After the event...and
after I return home from my initial two weeks at my new job, I'll post the
recipes, if anyone is interested.

Kiri

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> > Chinese plum)
> >
> > They eat these in Hawaii, too (under a local name
> > that is not coming up
> > from 18 years ago). At the high school I attended
> > there, kids smuggled
> > them into class like kids on the mainland ate candy
> > from their pockets.
> > I personally didn't care for them, but I'm haole and
> > hadn't been eating
> > them since small-kid time...
> >
> > You should be able to find them in a decent Asian
> > grocery.
> >
> > 'Lainie
>
> Are you thinking of Mei or Salty Plums, which are
> actually apricots?
>
> Huette
>
> =====
> Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they
> shall never cease to be amused.

- --------------9DD02B9BF3C21129F43EA6B7

I hope that's what it is.  It's in a period Chinese recipe, and the
translator didn't actually give a translation, but rather an explanation,
which I included in my original message.  I think, from Adamantius'
description, the Japanese <i>ume</i> may be a close approximation.