SC - Cooking groups

Jen Conrad tjconrad at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 16 08:02:43 PDT 2000

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> Ingredients list of Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
>
> Soybean oil
> Water
> Vinegar
> Sugar
> Egg Yolks (please take note)
> Starch
> Food Starch-Modified
> Salt
> Mustard Flour
> Spice
> Paprika
> Natural Flavor
>
> That's it , folks. :-) No funny chemicals , no bizarre additives. Natural as
> you can get. :-)

My apologies if I am mistaken as to the ingredients of this product. I
had heard for years that it contained no eggs, and have distinct
memories of reading the label and having it confirm that impression. I
wonder why so many people have that impression and are perpetuating what
it appears, may be myth? (Yes, obviously my mind is sodden with bland
homemade mayonnaise made with lemon juice, mustard, real olive oil,
cayenne pepper and Kosher salt.)

Is it possible that there's more than one formula for this product
around the country/world, or is it possible that the recipe was changed
over time (for all that to me, it still tastes nasty, primarily because
of the sugar, but that's neither here nor there)? I mean, does a food
myth become "common knowledge" over a period of decades for no reason at
all?

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy