SC - period dishes for Ari

Isha ArrowHawk ArianneShadowWalker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 16 19:26:52 PDT 2000

Ari replied to my list of food files with:
> >                                        crawfish, dormice.
> **blink**
> They ate mice???????
>
> <Ari faints>

Well, at least the Romans did. And as Adamantius mentions, it is not
the same critter as the common field mice or rat.

This however, was not a dish I was suggesting you try because it bore
some resemblance to modern foods. I think it was the swan that I thought
you might be interested in, since you said "all fowl and fish" or something
similar.

For those that might be interested I've pasted the first of the two
messages
about dormice from my exotic-foods-msg file below.

And as mentioned, is dormice really that unusual if you eat squirrel,
opossum, muskrat or racoon? But then I've never had any of those, either.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net