SC - my collected glossary

Elysant@aol.com Elysant at aol.com
Sat Sep 16 23:42:04 PDT 2000

Adamantius wrote:

>My apologies if I am mistaken as to the ingredients of this product. I
>had heard for years that it contained no eggs, and have distinct
>memories of reading the label and having it confirm that impression. I
>wonder why so many people have that impression and are perpetuating what
>it appears, may be myth? (Yes, obviously my mind is sodden with bland
>homemade mayonnaise made with lemon juice, mustard, real olive oil,
>cayenne pepper and Kosher salt.)

Well, the ingredient list posted by my Lord Husband came directly from the
jar of Miracle Whip... and as can be seen, the myth is that Miracle Whip does
not contain eggs at all.  True, it does not contain whole eggs as mayonnaise
does, containing only egg yolks, but when you consider the World War II
origin of the product, and the many other uses that they had for egg whites
during that time, it makes sense that egg yolks alone would be used.

It is also a myth that it contains emulsifiers (or preservatives, as does
some mayonnaise).  I was told that emulsification was not done with products
like this pre-World War II, although it may be able to be documented....

Is there more than one recipe available?  I would not know without doing more
research on the topic.  I do know that Coca Cola from Mexico has a different
formulation, and a heck of lot more caffeine than US Coca Cola....

One thing that puzzles me is how this thread on Mayonnaise relates to Period
Cookery, although I have heard that Jeff Smith (the frugal gourmet) has
claimed to have documented they use of Mayonnaise as we know it during the
Greek period.

Does anyone have access to a manuscript with this information perhaps?

Elysant