SC - A death in the family

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sun Sep 17 08:49:16 PDT 2000

Seton1355 at aol.com wrote:

> I've never tasted murri, so I was not in a position to contradict what I put
> into my collected glossary.  But I would love to taste some of Ras's murri
> (hint...hint...)   ;-)
> Phillipa

I believe the claims of similarity to soy sauce are based on the
manufacturing process, and on the fact that Charles Perry said so, of
the first murri recipe he found. IIRC, the stuff Ras has made is murri
naqi, a.k.a. Byzantine murri, which is a [comparatively] quickly
produced version made rather differently from the other version of
murri. That type is made by infusing cakes of grain subjected to a
controlled decay in brine, and I think it's a fairly safe bet that since
the ingredients and manufacturing method are similar (a lot of soy sauce
is now made from wheat), the infused murri should bear some resemblance
to soy sauce. Of course, there's no reason to assume the two forms of
murri should be all that similar to each other.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com