Southern Sweet Tooths (was Re: SC - Miracle Whip OOP (was Re: Sweet and Savory))

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Sep 18 03:59:26 PDT 2000

Maire asked:
> Secondly, what should I do if I have no access to any sort of smoking
> facilities? (still investigating)  Could they be made ahead of time and
> refrigerated or frozen, and then cooked "fresh" the day of the event?

Yes, you could do either. the fresh ones will only keep so long however.
A number of the groceries around here now sell fresh sausages of
various kinds. And until I started reading this list, I thought all
sausages were smoked.

> plan on boiling them for a bit, and then finishing them on a grill.
> Also, if you're making link-style sausages (about the size, say of
> bratwurst), how do you keep the blobs of sausage stuff separate from
> each other inside the casing? Do you have to tie them off with string as
> you're making them or something?

Read through this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium files:
sausages-msg      (96K)  6/ 8/00    Period sausages. Making sausage.

Early on, the recommendation in this file was to simply twist the
sausage casing between links. However, Baroness Clarissa said she
couldn't get them to stay when she did this and that they kept untwisting.
She then changed to tying a knot of string between each link. I've seen
both knotted string and simple twists between the links I've bought in
the store. If you are doing this as a team effort, it is simple enough
to have one person pinch the casing and tie it off as each link is
completed as the other person works the grinder or stuffer.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net