SC - Selene gets the bird....

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Mon Sep 18 09:39:45 PDT 2000

> I have a microwave recipe for a chilli (well, I assume it is what we are
> discussing here - it is a tomato based sauce made with mince [ground] meat
> and flavoured with chilli and other herbs and spices) which has a small
> quantity of dark chocolate added.  It was one of those dishes which was
> "surprisingly edible" in family parlance.  I will post the recipe later (my
> hands are not up to the typing just now).

Adding a bit of dark, unsweetened chocolate is a fairly common practice
in Mexican food. It adds a depth and richness to a sauce. Some sauces,
the famous mole' for example, use a lot of chocolate wheras others will
use it as any other spice.

> > I've gotten used to saurkraut as a pizza topping
>
> *Urk*  You have got to be joking?!?!  I

I'm not a big saurkraut fan either, but what they do is rinse it a bit to
get a lot of the sour off and then it roasts on the top. It really isn't that
bad although I was a bit grossed when I first tried it also.  I'm sure our
European friends on the list can describe even stranger things on pizza.
When I was stationed in Sicily I went to my first Italian restaurant not
speaking a word of Italian. All I recognized on the menu was "pizza" so
we ordered it. A totally different animal from Pizza Hut was presented.
A pushed out round of dough with eggs, peas, whole frankfurters, glops
of cheese and cinders from the open fire oven. Oh and pools of olive
oil. It was tasty but very different. After a while I got to where I even
liked the slightly salty taste of the cinders.

> Gwynydd

Yers,

Gunthar