SC - Selene gets the bird....

Isha ArrowHawk ArianneShadowWalker at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 18 11:39:50 PDT 2000

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com>
To: <sca-cooks at ansteorra.org>
Sent: Monday, September 18, 2000 5:59 AM
Subject: Re: Southern Sweet Tooths (was Re: SC - Miracle Whip OOP (was Re:
Sweet and Savory))

>. Although, for the argumentative, I should
> mention that the word barbecue appears to be of south-_east_ern origin,
> Carib, in fact, so while both Eastern and Western Rite appear to be
> legitimate, there may be a percentage point or two more legitimacy to
> Eastern Rite. In matters concerning meat dishes made with The Fiery
> Fruit, I would of course immediately defer to Western Rite.

>From my many info disks...just to add sauce to the conversation.  ;)

barbecue or barbeque [n. or v.  BAR-be-kyoo]

In the late 1600s, Americans adopted this word from the Spanish, who
in turn, had borrowed it from the Taino people of the West Indies.
The Taino used barbacoa to describe wood platforms supported by
stakes in the ground, which were used for grilling meat.
Barbacoa were also wooden grids used for beds but this meaning
has been lost over the years.

Today barbecue, which can also be spelled barbeque, has many
meanings.  The noun can describe the pieces of food roasted over
open flame.  It can also describe the grill, spit, or fireplace
used to cook meat or vegetables.  By the mid-1700s, barbecue had
also come to mean a social entertainment, usually held outdoors,
where food is cooked on a barbecue.

The verb form of barbecue is to broil or roast meat or vegetables
over an open fire.

A dictionary of Modern Taino:
http://members.dandy.net/~orocobix/tedict.html

Ari